From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 20:23:10 -0500
Hi All,
The sleep issue really is of interest to me right now, as we are not getting
any!  (Well, OK, a little maybe, but not nearly enough!)
I talk to a lot of moms who are concerned about the baby waking all the time.
 "Do you sleep with baby?"  I ask.  "No" they reply.  "Give it a try tonight,
and tell me what happens tomorrow," I say.  They call me the next day, and
voila!  They got a much better nights sleep!
Now this applies to newborns (as we all know) and now I am finding it applies
to toddlers who have been previously sleeping well in their own bed.
 Anecdotally, my toddler has been in his own bed, in our room, for most of
his 2 yrs.  He simply tosses and turns too much and keeps us awake.  Well,
the last 2.5 months have been absolutely miserable.  He wakes several times a
night and wants to be held or rocked.  We started bringing him in to bed with
us, where we found, HE slept all night, but of course we didn't (we are
constantly being hit in the face, kicked in the privates, or practically
pushed out of the bed!  And, when you are 7 mo pregnant and getting only 4-5
hrs of sleep per night, and being beat up on besides, this does not make for
a happy mom!)
Anyway, we just invested in a twin bed to put next to ours, so he will have
us right there "in bed" with him as he needs, but WE will have plenty of room
again for us, and we won't be ending up black and blue in the morning!  I
only pray this works!
So, to make a long story short, to moms who are concerned about getting
enough sleep, I reassure them that they and baby will sleep better together.
 Besides, baby has been with mom for 9 months, what makes anyone think baby
is going to want to be away from mom, all by him/herself, now that they are
out in the world????

Jay
Who is looking forward to the first decent nights sleep in quite a while!