From:
Hollands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:35:31 -0400
>Actually I have called ILCA and IBCLC regarding just such a situation.
Ilca said I could consult a lawyer myself and IBCLC said there is nothing
one can do unless a non IBCLC uses the term IBCLC.  The situation at our
hospital involves an individual who took a course through icea and now
calls herself LC.  She was hired by an OB group and does hospital rounds on
all the BF moms in that practice.  She is not a nurse and not IBCLC,
therefore has no license to lose.  It wouldn't be so bad except her
handouts, practices and followup are so inconsistent with current standards
in our field.
>any other ideas?  tracy

Tracy, I am under the assumption (and I could be wrong) that the only
legally protected titles are LLL and IBCLC.  Maybe if your hospital knew
that this person could open them up to litigation issues, they may change
their mind.  I do not remember what certification ICEA used for people that
took their course, but am pretty sure that it was something like "lactation
support person" or similar to that.  Hmmmm, wondering if she is handing out
the abm companies "helpful breastfeeding info"???
                              Pam Holland, BS, IBCLC
                               Savannah, GA