From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:24:06 -0400
Perhaps Carolyn can point to the section in the review she referenced where it compares
supplementing mothers with infants. I could not find any comparison in that study where
one could conclude by the evidence presented, that supplementing mothers was better
than supplementing infants or vice versa.  It appeared to discuss the possibility that
supplementation of lactating women is inadequate and that mothers need to be
supplemented for their own health.

What I did NOT find was citations of data comparing infants of supplemented mothers
versus infants who were supplemented.  As I understood from reading the entire CDC
expert committee report, the reason for supplementing infants rather than women was
that there was not enough response in improved vitamin D status in the infants after their
mothers were being supplemented.  What is not clear to me, from the Hollis review is
whether the research has been done on the higher doses of women to show that it is
actually resulted in a response in the breastfed infants.

I never make judgements based on abstracts because there are devilish little details in
the methods that are very important.  So, if anyone has access to the full second article,
I'd love to see a copy.  The cost of downloading full articles is prohibitively high if you
don't belong to an institution.

Best, Susan Burger