Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:24:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Perhaps Carolyn can point to the section in the review she referenced where it compares 
supplementing mothers with infants. I could not find any comparison in that study where 
one could conclude by the evidence presented, that supplementing mothers was better 
than supplementing infants or vice versa.  It appeared to discuss the possibility that 
supplementation of lactating women is inadequate and that mothers need to be 
supplemented for their own health.

What I did NOT find was citations of data comparing infants of supplemented mothers 
versus infants who were supplemented.  As I understood from reading the entire CDC 
expert committee report, the reason for supplementing infants rather than women was 
that there was not enough response in improved vitamin D status in the infants after their 
mothers were being supplemented.  What is not clear to me, from the Hollis review is 
whether the research has been done on the higher doses of women to show that it is 
actually resulted in a response in the breastfed infants.  

I never make judgements based on abstracts because there are devilish little details in 
the methods that are very important.  So, if anyone has access to the full second article, 
I'd love to see a copy.  The cost of downloading full articles is prohibitively high if you 
don't belong to an institution.

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2