From:
anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:06:38 -0500
I want to comment on Dr. Wight's post. In my private practice I see many
premies. The good news is that if the mother has brought in a good supply
and the baby has had even a little experience at the breast (even practice
is good); then I find that these babies do eventulaly go on to full
breastfeeding. Fro some reason, I find that  premies are in some ways better
at adapting to the breast. For many of them, tincture of time, growing,
maturing and patience is what it takes. These babies and their mothers are
fantastic. It is very rewarding for me. I want all of you who work in
breastfeeding supportive NICU units to know that you are doing a great job
at getting things started. I want to say thank you. You folks make my job
easier. I find that a very positive attitude is essential. When mothers are
given a plan that includes skin to skin, pumping and time, they respond with
great enthusiasm. Mothers need to hear how well they are doing. Words of
encouragement are an essential part of what we all do. Keep up the good work
NICU nurses and doctors. Ann Anderson,RN,IBCLC,NJ