From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:38:45 -0800
Lorazepam.
Uses- anti anxiety, sedative
AAP- effect on nursing infants is unknown but may be of concern.

benzodiazepine from the Valium famiuly.  Frequently used prenatally
and presurgically as sedative.  In one prenatal study- produced a high
rate of depressed respiration, hypothermia and feeding problems in
newborns. secreted drug for up to 11 days postpartum.  different 1979
study, infants were unaffected following prenatal use.   Plasma levels
in infants were = to mothers; rate of metabolism slow but also =.  No
untoward effects noted in any of the infants.  skip milk levels, but
"It would appear from these studies that the amount of drug secreted
into milk would be clinically insignificant under most conditions."

paraphrased of course.

alternatives- midazolam

Pediatric concerns: none reported via milk, but observe for sedation.

Increased sedation when used with morphine, EtOH, CNS depressants, MOA
inhibitors, loxapine and tricyclics.

end of Hale.  I used Valium for a root canal when my elder was a year
or so old, and eating solids.  I noted no sedation.

If you need more info, I guess you'll have to ask someone else.  :-D
==

Kate Hallberg, mom to Ursula (wow! 4) and Sage (almost 2)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina
Does "I hope I've answered your questions" mean "Have I answered?"
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/8193/