Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:27:07 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I just did an interview with a national radio station here (ABC News Radio for Aussie Lactnetters) on the breastmilk going to  the Navy hospital ship Comfort. I don't think that the journo got quite what he was looking for. "Should Australian mothers send their milk to Haiti?" "No, they should send money to UNICEF, Save the Children, World Vision or Action Against Hunger"
This story seems to be picking up a bit of speed. Can I ask for Lactnetters who are likely to be contacted for interviews or know those who do to please pass on the line of "No, breastmilk should generally not be sent to an emergency- this is a very unusual and particular circumstance affecting a very small number of babies- If people want to help babies they should send money to  UNICEF, Save the Children, World Vision or Action Against Hunger who are all working on supporting good infant feeding practices in Haiti" No matter how much you support milk banks- don't say this is a good idea. The people working on the ground in Haiti are struggling in a terribly difficult circumstance and if somehow people got the idea that sending breastmilk was a good idea that would just make things worse. I've been told that the woman coordinating infant feeding in emergencies in Haiti (an incredibly difficult job) was appalled and overwhelmed at the idea that breastmilk might start arriving. There is good info to use in the second press release from ILCA, USBC, HMBANA, LLL and I have some other resources that I am more than willing to pass on to those who might be doing an interview on this.
Karleen

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2