From:
Nofia Altman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 13:11:54 +0200
I took another look, and there is a small window that recommends
breastfeeding, but it doesn't offer any real COMPELLING argument for women
who haven't made up their minds just "pediatricians recommend".. Maybe in
America that is enough, but here a woman would say "but in 3 mos I'm going
back to work, so why start,etc?" (We're spoiled! What is maternity leave in
America- 5 weeks?) I just felt they should have a more compelling argument,
maybe offering a window on the advantages of breastfeeding.
But instead they say they're not going to present an argument, and just
discuss a basis  " formula or breastmilk for the first six months.
etc,etc,etc"
Then there's an audio clip "Breastfeeding or Bottlefeeding the debate is
forever: your baby can thrive on both"

I think that such a leader in the health community such as Mayo should
really take a stand on breastfeeding, because if they don't who will?

A nurse I spoke to today told me that formula advertisements are needed "so
that women who aren't able to breastfeed won't feel badly" and so that
"women will know formula exists"...

Nofia
Human Milk Advocate
A man recently confided to me that he thought a Lactation Consultant was a
fancy way of saying wet nurse, and he didn't ask because he didn't want to
offend me. Single man, so I wasn't offended.