From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:38:24 -0500
In tight engorged or edematous breasts, I have found short term use of a
nipple shield inside the breast pump flange to be effective for
initiating let-down.  When there is edema in the tissues you have
mechanical obstruction of milk flow PLUS reduced capillary blood flow
which can limit oxytocin crossing to the alveoli.  Alternating hot and
cold compresses are helpful.  Also, the MD should investigate MRSA
mastitis.