From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:27:10 -0500
<< I find most will hang in better with a breast pump than with hand
expression.>>

totally agree.

> I totally agree there is a learning curve, but maybe part of the issue
> is the pumping routine that "fits" the situation and tapping in to
> support in the form of physical household helpers. Those things can be
> key to "doable" or not. I'm amazed at the number of mothers who say
> they BF an ineffectively suckling newborn for up to an hour or more at
> a pop. What's the point of keeping these babies at breast so long vs.
> limiting and removing milk a (currently) more effective way?>>

Couldn't agree more.

I think we're in agreement on all points.  I was only expressing that I
do understand why so many mom's find pumping so challenging.

Someone listed some things to make it easier for mom - one of them was
to leave the pump kit attached and assembled.  This has been one of the
most helpful things for moms since I started recommending it a yr or so
ago  (after discussion about it here)   Most of them were pumping and
washing each time every 2h.   even though it only saves  a very few
minutes, the psychological benefit is much of much greater time
savings.  it's very interesting.

;)
katherine in atl