From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:58:30 -0400
We know that babies in NICU (the way it used to be done) had higher
incidence of abuse, r/t non or poor attachment.  I'm not sure what more
recent studies would find with the improvement in getting parents together
with their babies, it's still not ideal.  Maybe someone in NICU will know of
some more recent studies.

I feel that textbook quote is really wrong.   Standard on Bonding is work by
Kennell & Klaus.  Diony Young wrote a nice pamphlet for ICEA , "Bonding: How
Parents Become Attached to Their Baby"  & "Biology is one key to the bonding
of mothers and babies" by Hara Estroff Marano.  Reprinted from Smithsonian
Magazine, 11(11), 1981.    How's this title (no date, sorry :-)  Human
imprinting and breastfeeding: Are the textbooks deficient?  Gail Mobbs,  The
Lamp.  "Parent-infant bonding: a process, not an event." M. Colleen
Stainton, DNS, Dimensions, April 1986.  Most of the info I have is from the
last part of 1970s and early 1980s.  I just can't imagine that this is still
being debated, when we've all known it ever since we got a hold of our first
baby :-)  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ