From:
Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:20:38 -0600
 Hi all,
          I hear this so much at the inner city hospital where I work!
The most frustrating thing is that the nursing staff take this as a green
light to give early bottles, or first fdg. bottles. argh!!!
       I usually tell the moms that many mothers do combine breastfeeding
with  bottle feeding, (to acknowledge their valid choice)  but to mostly
or only breast feed the first month or so to tell her body to make a
plentiful milk supply, and for baby to learn to breastfeed well first.
      With the Spanish speaking moms, I say ' Bebe pecho, pecho, pecho
(and motion with my arms), mas leche manyana'    --  'Baby breast,
breast, breast, more milk tomorrow.'  And that milk making begins with
the delivery of the placenta........which they have already achieved!   A
Spanish speaking LC/nurse colleague has shared with me she feels the
concept of colostrum production during the 2nd trimester does not seem to
make the same impact as the delivery of the placenta.
       Susan in Minnesota
       rn ibclc