From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:18:17 -0400
I presented a workshop on Friday at a local natural baby store. It is very
interesting to me that we had the same workshop advertised for at least
three months as "Little Nursing Persons" and no one signed up....but when we
advertised it as "Weaning" seven people signed up (in a "population center"
that has about 10,000 people). The babies ranged from 10-18 months.
Since I nursed two children to 5-1/12 (one of them I pressed to wean as I
was pregnant and nursing another), I felt I could throw a little light on
how my now-adult children felt about breastfeeding.
My oldest and youngest, these two children, will talk about their nursing
careers. They have wonderful, wonderful memories. And I think that's a part
of being breastfed a long while, because all that cuddling and skin to skin
settles right into their souls (and ours, I think); in our nuclear families,
when we're having a bad day, the breastfeeding brings that connection back,
and instead of the fights at night there's a cuddle before bed.
When you're not breastfeeding, it's so much easier to "lose it" and stay
lost.

So - if you were in a group of mothers, could you tell which ones breastfed
their children? Would those long years of heightened oxytocin levels make a
difference? (I'll tell you one thing, when I look back I have no regrets!)

Dawn Kersula...who has loved Kathleen Bruce for a very long time, when I was
in nursing school and we were conference roomies she brought me rose scented
treats for stress-free baths!