From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 16:15:29 -0700
Before everyone gets hot and heavy, I am referring to vaccines given to the
mother.

Mother of 14 month breastfed girl was given MMR and Tetnus vaccines as
required to work in son's preschool program.  After getting the vaccines she
tells the Doctor, "Oh, by the way, I'm breastfeeding.  Is this a problem?"
The doctor says "Well, just wean."!  When the mom asked why she was told
because the viruses mutate as your body sheds them and she wouldn't want to
infect her baby (who, incidentally, just got her shots).

She called me and asked if it was ok to breastfeed.  I repeated what I
remembered about if the vaccine could be absorbed orally then it would be
given orally, otherwise it was deactivated in the gut.  I suggested she
share the references with the Dr.  When I started to look, I only found
Lawrences reference to Rubella Vaccine saysing the best time to give it was
immediately postpartum.  Yaffe & Stark says no info available in breastfeeding.

Is there any research on Vaccines and breastfeeding????  How about our
pharmacists??
Help please.

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix, Arizona USA