From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:55:17 -0700

I want to stress that even though SOME mothers with PCOS have trouble with
milk production, others don't ... So if we are asked prenatally whether a
mom who has PCOS can breastfeed, our answer should be a "let's see how it
goes" and attempt to do everything we can for OPRIMAL (I actually wrote
NORMAL originally, but had to change it as what is "normal" in our area is
not optimal...sigh!)care:vaginal deliver, skin to skin, good breastfeeding
evaluation and early postpartum follow-up.

Of the three moms that I saw last year  with PCOS, only ONE was unable to
develop a full milk supply doing the above - and I didn't see her until day
10, so I'm not sure (though I do believe that I would not have been able to
produce the "magic" to prevent insufficient production) whether this was a
"true" case of insufficient production or rather a managemente issue.

Moms having a great deal of hormonal variability are diagnosed with PCOS -
we need to see what happens, as we do with moms with breast surgery, limited
breast changes during pregnancy, etc.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW,RN,PHN,IBCLC