From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:21:36 -0500
I agree with Carol. I think that it would benefit insurance companies to
do more than endorse breastfeeding. They should actively promote it
with reduced rates for breastfeeders just like you have reduced rates for safe
drivers and non-smokers. INsurance companies could also get involved with
helping employers to support their breastfeeding employees by
helping them set up programs and education and also by giving them
breaks on insurance when they have these programs and/or when they have XX
number of breastfeeding moms.
  Now the question is how to get insurance copmanies to do it
I've had a couple of conversatins with peopls about this and my sense is
that the research they want has to be very specific for their populations,
so national studies may not be so useful. But I'm really not sure about
this. Anyone have a good sense about how insurane companies work and
how we can begin to approach them about this issue.
  Naomi Bar-Yam PhD