From:
Jeanne Badman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:47:47 -0600
Greetings all,

Whenever I go to see a movie and the opportunity for an infant feeding is
coming up in the story line (you can always tell...), I get that "funny
feeling."  Which way will they go?  A lot of people go to see a new film
release, so a simple breastfeeding reference can do a lot of good work when
it is presented as normal in a popular movie.

I saw a new film, "A Simple Plan," on it's opening day, January 22.  The
theatre was packed at 10:00 p.m.  Now, this film definitely isn't for
everyone -- it has blood and guts, etc.  But it probably is a must see for
Minnesotans who like that sort of thing, as it is set in Delano, MN, USA. ;)

A lead character's wife, who we presume has just given birth in the
hospital, is visited by her husband, and then her husband's brother.  After
the brother departs, the baby is brought into the room by a nurse.  The
mother holds the baby and positions her for breastfeeding.  We see most of
this over the shoulder of the mother, so no good details.  The good thing
is that breastfeeding is depicted as normal.

Now, I won't go on about the mother's behavior while she is nursing (she
seems to plot and scheme every time she holds the baby), but it is great to
see a casual reference to breastfeeding as normal in a contemporary
American film.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Badman, IBCLC, St. Paul, MN, USA
[log in to unmask]            *NrrdGrrl*
http://www.visi.com/~artmama