From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 11:04:30 -0700
Cindy, I think it is the habit of the other RNs, especially ones insecure in their own skills to refer all BF problems to the "LC" -- so our consult list is to babies who were4 hours old and were "too sleepy" etc.  As time has passed, and inservices given to update information and support the nurses who were already "doing it right", the more common consults have disappeared.  The LC's have also learned over time which of the nurses are more skilled with BF, and which less, to weight their referrals accordingly.  Because we have a fair number of RNs LVNs and CPs who are skilled at assisting with breastfeeding it does leave "the real problems" for the LC.  With the others, she goes in and talks to the patients, seconding whatever the bedside caregivers have been teaching.

In time, with inservices by you, and active participation by your co-workers, you should find yourself with fewer mundane things, and more of the unusual stuff.
Also our LCs work only 4 hours a day on the unit (including NICU), and do not act as bedside RNs on the same days as they are there as LCs.

Of course, the main thing we all suffer from is lack of time.  Most of the time we are not well-enough staffed to offer all the assistance a mom needs, especially on pms or nocs.  Also, many moms are in such a rush to go home, and beleaguered by friends and family while they are still in hospital, that we don't get to do as much teaching as we feel they need.  I sometimes long for the days when only the father or one other person could stay at the bedside through the day, and all others visited only from 1-3 and 6-8.   We got alot more teaching done.  We also kept moms three days.

 Sincerely, Chanita, who sometimes thinks a step backward would not be so bad.