From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 23:30:34 +0100
In Europe this year there has been much made of the 100th anniversary of the
establishment of March 8 as International Women's Day and I am appreciating
the international fora in which I connect with other women, especially those
in which we discuss issues so closely tied to femaleness.  Naturally Lactnet
is such a forum.  I had to take several deep breaths listening to a debate
on the radio this evening between three women about two new books on the
status of women, because even the ones I agreed with on some issues, were
making ignorant remarks about breastfeeding.  Then I thought about all the
good arguments I have come across through my involvement with this list for
why we should value the work of feeding small children, and all the
feminists I have known, and still know, who don't have any trouble combining
feminism and having lactating breasts, and I am glad I have this forum.
To all of you who are marking the day in some way, may the occasion be
worthy and may it get plenty of attention.  To all of you who are just being
women like you normally are, appreciate yourselves on all our behalfs.  And
to all of you who are not women but who still get why breastfeeding is
important, thanks for being there for us.

Rachel Myr, still a feminist and still a firm supporter of breastfeeding,
(and 'still crazy after all these years') in Kristiansand, Norway