From:
Denny Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:49:46 -0400
Main Entry: cen·sor
Function: transitive verb
: to examine (as a publication or film) in order to suppress or delete any
contents considered objectionable

I maintain that "hiding" books at a bookstore, regardless as to whether or
not they are "used to it", is wrong.  It harms the store, by preventing
them from selling their merchandise.  It harms the consumer by taking away
their right to chose.

In a free society, we function by allowing everyone the opportunity to
speak and assuming that the public will make an intelligent decision based
on everything they are exposed to.  If we don't like the choices they make,
then we need to do a better job of promoting our position.

Just because the other side doesn't "play fair" doesn't justify us doing
the same.

Denny
And since this is beginning to get off topic, I'll get off my soapbox :)

"The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter
regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has not been
caught.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956), 'Prejudices: Fourth Series,' 1924"

"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his
fellow citizens.
Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826), letter to John Melish, January 13, 1813"