From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:25:12 -0600
I have not seen any comments on the list yet about the new CDC
recommendations for H1N1.  Am I wrong to assume that this applies only to
mothers who begin to show symptoms after labor has begun (the intrapartum
period)?  Or does this apply to any mother showing symptoms, regardless of
timing of onset, as long as she has not been treated with antivirals for 48
hours, is afebrile for 24 hours without antipyretics, and is able to control
her secretions using proper etiquette?   Is it true that she will not pass
antibodies through her milk for 2 weeks?  Does this recommendation supercede
AAP's recommendation?  What guidelines are other countries following?  We
followed the AAP guidelines for the 2 clients we recently cared for before
the new CDC guidelines came out.  I'm also concerned that the onus is on us
in writing to assure effective establishment of breastfeeding considering
the CDC recommends prolonged separation.  I can see the babies now lined up
screamimg in isolettes while the mothers are pumping drops of colostrum.
Shudder.  Also no mention of the increased risk to baby of non-exclusive
breastmilk feeding.

Linda Anderegg, BSN, RNC, IBCLC in Chicago

 <http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/obstetric.htm>
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/obstetric.htm

<<The mother who plans to breastfeed should be fully supported as it is the
best way to protect the infant against 2009 H1N1 virus and other respiratory
pathogens. However, the mother who acquires 2009 H1N1 virus infection during
the intrapartum period may not develop passive antibodies to further protect
her newborn baby via breast milk until 2 weeks after infection. A lactation
consultant should be involved in the care of the mother and infant to assure
effective establishment of breastfeeding. Immediately following delivery,
the mother should be assisted and supported to express her milk/colostrum.
The mother's milk should be fed to the newborn by a healthy caregiver until
criteria are met for close contact (see above). Unlike other body fluids and
secretions, human milk is not considered a body fluid to which standard,
droplet, or contact precaution recommendations apply and milk from an
infected mother is not considered infectious. Anti-viral medication use by
the mother is not a contraindication to breastfeeding.>>