From:
Catherine Pridie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:48:43 -0500
I want to share a success story, one that makes all the negatives disappear
for a time...

Mom, 22 yr. old primip, husband 24 yr. and very supportive.  Delivered
12/13/00 via c/section at 38 weeks gestation, adjusted gest. 37 weeks.
Samantha, 5# 9oz. was born first, and breech.  Brenden, 7# 11oz. was
vertex.  Both had nice big mouths, but frenulums on the short side.  He
nursed well from birth.  Samantha would open wide but not latch. We kept
everything artificial out of her mouth.

This couple was determined to breastfeed these babies. Samantha was cup fed
colostrum, then EBM after it became apparent she would not suck.  Both
babies have gained two pounds since birth.  Brenden at the breast, and
Samantha with a cup.  Neither has ever had anything but breastmilk.

I have worked with this family from the start. I was the "baby catcher" at
their birth.  Mom breastfed Brenden, pumped, and dad cup fed Sam.  When dad
went back to work, mom did this alone.

They ignored all the "helpful advice" from friends and family who thought
they were crazy, and continued on with our plan to get Sam to the breast.
I literally read to them from Dr. Jack's new book, about getting babies to
the breast, what to expect, and helped them deal with waiting for her to
develop and learn to nurse.  I consulted with my best friend, Raven, also a
LC,to get another viewpoint and suggestions.  Two weeks ago, we started a
nipple shield when this mom and baby were ready (Dr. Jack's reminder that
babies learn to breastfeed at the breast), and as of 1/23, one day short of
6 weeks, Samantha decided she was a big girl, and breastfed all by
herself!!  Since then, Momma has been exclusively BF both babies, usually
in tandem.  This couple renews my belief in the love, goodness, and
commitment parents can have towards their babes.  These successes keep us
going, don't they?

Joyfully,

Catherine Pridie, RN, BSN, IBCLC
in sunny and cool northern Arizona