From:
Jennifer Dragisis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:29:55 EST
Well, girls with all this talk about twins I felt the need to jump in.  My
twins are now four.  They were 36 weeks when they were born (one vaginal and
then4 hours later c-section).  I nursed the first one twice before the
delivery of the second and the second one right on the table while they were
sewing me up.  We went home 2 days later because the hospital was not helping
me in my decision to ONLY give my babies breastmilk.  Once home we were
bombarded with advice from pacifers to the use of a bottle to sleeping
together to dressing them.  But mostly this was from non multiple parents with
good intentions.  I went to one Mother of Twins meeting and that was all there
was for that.  They didn't want to include my babies in their meeting because
this was their chance to "get away".  I wanted to be near my babies more
because their was two of them and they needed their mom.  As far as nursing
them from the start we realized that my husband and I don't eat at the same
time nor snack at the same time so my twins rarely ate at the same time.  I
didn't wake up the other at night and if she woke up I fed her but I found
that one would sleep longer than the other.  They slept with us for nine
months and still 4 years later they still sleep together.  My twins are
fraternal.  We don't have the same toys, they eat different foods, and they
walk a different walk.They do however have a definete twin bond and you can
tell they are twins not by their looks but by their demeanor.  The hardest
thing for me was to learn how to let things go.  The dishes will always be
there, the babies won't always be babies.  The first four months are a haze
but I still have pictures of them rubbing each others hands while they did
nurse or remembering the time that one would come up and tell me that the
other needed "moomies".  I guess in the end I have to say I let them set the
pace.  They are who they are. Twins but individuals.   Thanks for letting me
share...

Jenny Dragisic
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Mom to 4 girls (8..4..4..2)