From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 03:57:18 EST
I just received the annual company report for Martek.  The company that makes
DHA and ARA from sea algae.  I thought the readers of lactnet would be
interested in the summary from page three of the report and also to see the
front cover.  The front cover shows bottles lined up like a vertical bar
graph and the last bottle appears to be blasting off the launching pad like a
rocket.  The caption on the cover reads "Taking Off!"

The text on page three is:
MartekŪ SCIENCE FOR LIFE

Annual Report 2000

· Revenues increase to $9.7 million, driven
primarily by increased sales of supplemented
infant formulas by the Company's licensees.
The number of countries in which Martek's
licensees are selling supplemented term
formulas doubles to 14 during the year.

· A landmark study sponsored by the National
Institutes of Health shows a 7-point increase
in the IQ of infants that received Martek's oils.

· A license agreement signed with Abbott
Laboratories gives Martek license coverage on
85o/o of U.S. and 60% of worldwide infant formula
markets.

· Wyeth Nutritionals expands its supplemented
formula business dramatically by launching
supplemented term formulas in the Philippines,
Saudi Arabia, China, Mexico, Venezuela, Uruguay
Colombia and Argentina. Wyeth now has term
formulas with Martek oils in 14 countries.

· Mead Johnson, a major supplier of U.S. infant
formula, launches its first supplemented term
formula in three countries.

end of report

I have scanned the cover and page three and I plan to upload the images to a
sight where I can provide you with a link where any interested reader can
view the images.
The link to see the scanned images is :
<A HREF="http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/jon_ahr">http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/jon_ahr</A>

click on the link for Lactation Related Pictures    to see the photos, click
again to see a larger image.

As I predict that we will here more and more about DHA oils from Martek and
the formula companies, I feel it is important for lactation professionals to
keep abreast (sorry about the pun) of the information on this issue and what
the company is saying and promoting.

If any lactners have comments I would appreciate a CC reply to me as I don't
read the lactnet digests each day.

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP
Clarion, Iowa