From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:06:34 +0000
Mastitis can be associated with anemia, as a contributing factor to infection susceptibility.
And plugged ducts are associated with mastitis, so that is the relationship, I beleive.

I think you are right on about oversupply, and if you are inclined to do a pre/post weight with
a feeding, you would likely find that the baby transfers alot of milk in those short 5 minutes. Then
mother can likely pump off even more milk. This would give you some objective data. I would start
with the usual oversupply treatments, which is to say feed on one side for a specified interval,
expressing to only relieve the other side, and not fully empty it. Of course, she must be careful if
she is having a plug or mastitis symptoms to keep emptying that side for now.

Other treatments that work too, though I've never yet tried it, is to completely empty the breasts
first, and then start the interval times for each breast. I beleive Gonneke has posted on this, and possibly
other lactnetters. Other measures, such as herbs and meds, can be used to decrease supply.

I would POLITELY speak with the other hcp's, if they are cooperative, and let them know that after consulting
your reference books, googling, and conferring with several other lactation experts, you still beleive oversupply
is the likely factor, and provide a good reference that you think they will find credible, perhaps an online article,
or Dr. Lawrence book, if this is mentioned. You could also fax something with a polite cover letter.

If she has anemia, that should be addressed too, by diet changes, or supplements, and exploring
reasons why she is anemic.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Mississippi, s.e. USA