From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:26:27 -0400
I gave a great deal of thought to my "uniform" when I switched from staff
nurse to LC.
I wear street clothes with a V-neck scrub jacket over the top. (They look
like cotton blazers with pizzazz.) One of the nurses actually said to me, "I
like the way you dress, you look like you're a cut above, but also one of
the team. I can ask you to help in a pinch but not to take over unless you
change work codes as well as work clothes!"

Nobody here wears lab coats except lab people!

The one drawback to this system is that I almost always buy print coats so I
wear a lot of boring pants-and-shirts outfits. It is cost efficient however!
The other thing that has brought "respect" is the flurry of initials painted
next to my office door. I didn't put all my initials out there, but all
sorts of people say, "I saw your office! Boy, I didn't realize you had that
many initials after your name." (We all know that LLLL is one of the most
important sets I don't have up there -- playing the game like Dr. Jay! --
and I also write IBCLC whenever I document, even if I just emptied a Foley
to be helpful.)

Dawn Kersula RN, IBCLC, FACCE
Brattleboro Memorial Hospital - 360 births a year! (and still doing normal
births)