From:
Dany Gauthier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 13:35:22 -0500
I have had many mothers (5) in the past year who wanted to take the day
after pill. My answer was the same as for any birth control pill, which is
hormones do pass into breastmilk but we do not know (yet?) of any effects on
the nursing infant. Progesterone based birth control pills do not seem the
affect milk composition or volume, but combination pills do. I also tell
mothers that some Bmothers do take combination pills as birth control. All
mothers I have talked to chose to take the day after pill, none of them
reported any changes in milk volume or in baby's behavior (nursing most
often or longer).
Dany Gauthier IBCLC
Tel: 514-923-3792
Fax:514-923-3802