Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:59:02 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
This was my first post to the list, and I would like to thank you for your responses, and give an update on my client.  In Australia doctors do seem to freely prescribe antibiotics for mastitis.  The mother had seen her General Practitioner (GP - Doctor) prior to my vist. 

Her  registered midwife (RM), who attended the mother during her pregnancy and birthed the baby at the mother's home had suggested this treatment.  The mother had been given conflicting advice from many sources, so wanted an opinion of LC. 

I rang the mother last night and she told me that the swelling & lumpyness had gone down, she had no fever, the breast felt cooler, the redenned area on the breast was now a light pink, and still getting lighter.  The mother had continued with my suggestions, to keep the breast drained, rest, keep hydrated, vary feeding positions, alternate warmth & cold.   

To hold the grated chilled potato in place - it was placed in a chilled cabbage leaf and then a muslin scarf wrapped around the mothers body (like a sling for a broken arm).  The pototao was replaced several times during the day.

She had spoken to her midwife who had rang her prior to my call to see how she was going.  Mother is very happy with the outcome,  I hope to speak  to the midwife shortly as I would be most interested to know how it works.

Thank you

Rebecca Kubenk IBCLC
Adelaide Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2