From:
Cassandra Leahy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:15:49 -0500
Here is some additional infromation on my infection case.  Thank you Karen
Gromada for you questions.

The twins were 37 weeks (C/D).  I worked with mom in hospital setting.  Both
babies latched and transferred milk well.  Mom's plan was to feed directly at
breast and pump, and supplement when she wanted.  She was well informed in
her decision making process.  Mom recognized importance of not
supplementing until breastfeeding was well established (or unless medically
necessary).  Mom has made informed decsions on all breastfeeding options.

She was nursing directly until her symptoms arose and since Friday has been
utilizing a breast pump (double electric Medela) 8-12 times daily recommended
(somtimes minimal of 6 times/days).

Slight bruising on nipple in first few days, but no visible skin breaks.

Mom ran a low grade fever over last 24 hours, but has been taking Advil
intermittently which has controlled the fever and masked some symptoms.

I guess I was looking for specific testing/diagnosis tools.  Yes, I know I can
not diagnose, but I was hoping we could steer OB in right direction.  Mom
developed infection so early, the clumping was excessive, and the yellow
mucus was something I had not seen before.  Should we go ahead with the
typical antibiotics used for Mastitis or should attempts to target the specific
agent be made.  I was concerned about MRSA, but I definitely do not want to
jump to any conclusions and I was looking for specific examples of tools to
identify the cause of the infection that could be utilized by OB.

Shouldn't we be concerned about the bacteria agent?  Did not present as a
typical mastitis; for example no tender spot, redness, or sore lump coupled
with stringy clumps and yellow mucus, I am just looking to rule out other
options and give suggestions for effective treatment.

Thank you,

Casi Leahy
BA, RN, MSN, LCCE, IBCLC