From:
Catherine Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 20:32:24 -0500
Judith,  I am an LC in a NICU in a Children's Hospital in VA.  Our
hospital employees use the same pump rooms our NICU moms do-we have 4
rooms that are always available.  The moms with babies on other units have
pumps in their rooms requested from Central Supply.  Our staff rarely
bring their children into the NICU for infection control issues-they dont'
want their babies on the unit!  I have seen it a few times in the NICU and
on other units in the break room (which are connected to the units on all
the floors and ICU's) only when the baby would not take a bottle.  I have
also seen a few of the residents have dad bring baby in for a feeding when
mom pulls a 24 hr call.  She usually feeds in the call room.  We don't
have a formal policy but again it isn't a big issue because most staff
don't want their babies in the unit or on the floors.
Catherine Katz RN, IBCLC,RLC