Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:57:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I have been no mail since my last post, but here I am again with another strange question.
I had a woman call today with a question about relactating because the 12 months she was breastfeeding her 2 ½ year old was the only time since she started periods that she has not had severe emotional swings due to hormone response. She has been treated with a few different drugs, but said the drug therapy made her emotions worse. She has an appointment on Dec. 6 with the psych team that specializes in OB/GYN mood disorders here at University of Michigan. She has rented a pump in preparation for relactating. Her question is what is the best time of the month to begin pumping and do we think that the hormones she will produce if she relactates will help her to smooth out her mood swings. 
Now I have looked in Lawrence, and my other BIBLES of breastfeeding, but have not found anything that relates to relactation for this purpose. Sooo, what do you all think? Has anyone run across anything like this before?
I cautioned her that she may not get the same effects without the surge of hormones that surround the birth of a baby, and that if she does get an effect it would only last as long as she was pumping. She says she is willing to continue to pump for as long as she has hormone responses that make her feel so terrible.
I think this was a serious call,  and I told her I would need a week or so to look into this. I also have her permission to post this question. Please if anyone has heard of this or can give me any advise, please respond privately as I will not be able to keep up with Lactnet in the next week. 
Patricia Awood, RN, IBCLC
University of Michigan 
[log in to unmask] 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2