From:
Vicky York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:02:30 -0700
There are at least 2 people in Portland, OR who encapsulate placenta's for moms and as a postpartum doula/lactation consultant I have worked with 3 in the past year. They had no milk supply issues (for what that is worth) or postpartum depression and 2 of them had history of PMD and wanted to try to prevent it. A midwife told me she had a client bleeding heavily after a birth and she had the mom eat a tiny piece of placenta and the midwife could feel the uterus tighten under her hand. The paragraph below is written by one midwife here who encapsulates for the new moms right after the birth.

Placenta has been used for hundreds and maybe thousands of years in
Traditional Chinese Medicine to increase milk production and to help bring
the postpartum imbalances back into equilibrium.  The placenta is dehydrated
and ground into powder then made into capsules that the mother can take
(frankly, this is much more palatable to most women when compared to the
idea of eating it in a stew or whatever).  Our society as a whole can't seem
to get past the "ew gross" factor of the placenta, which is very much
media-driven.  Those women who can see past this and have consumed their own
placenta in capsule form have overwhelmingly felt a difference.  Research is
currently being proposed to study this effect and to try to differentiate it
from a possible placebo effect.  In my experience in talking with women
about this, they seem to not care if it *is* placebo effect, because it is
working for them and the vast majority of them are having a high-energy,
depression-free postpartum.  Check out PlacentaBenefits.info for more
information.

 Feel free to share my e-mail address if anyone is
interested in more information.

Wendy Gordon, [log in to unmask]
Portland, OR