Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:29:30 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
When my grandson was born, his parents were VERY anxious - a lot of concerns on their part - difficulties I will not elaborate on in this public forum.  HOWEVER - the BEST message she got was her pediatrician: "He's PERFECT"...  this she repeated to everyone who would ask...for many, many months.

We need to be very careful what we say and be very aware of how important it is to say it in the right way.  

YES, at times we DO need to intervene - but MANY times the "watch and wait" while instilling confidence and support is much more appropriate than showing off how much we know about what COULD be a problem...

In fact, I used this same line: "He's (She's) PERFECT" in our last La Leche League group - to help moms deal with grandparents, neighbors, doctors, etc. who are criticizing that baby is refusing a bottle, sleeping with them, not weaned, etc.  The moms LOVED to hear this!  

Of course not all babies are "perfect" and we need to be watching closely for those who need more interventions....but let's PLEASE try to find what IS perfect! (As I pointed out to a mom whose baby had cleft lip and palate and caused a great deal of tension and stress every time she looked at him - he DID have perfect hands, feet, arms, legs, heart, lungs, etc...  He is PERFECT for HER to love and care for - and help through whatever he needed.)  

Jeanette Panchula (grandmother of 5 PERFECT grandchildren! <grin>)
California, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2