From:
Stephen David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:16:41 +0930
Interesting to read that the judgement in the Dateline story about a pilot
and her breastfed baby, that the baby does not have a constitutional right
to be breastfed.

In Australia we had an interesting case where a mum was told by a Judge
that she could not breastfeed in 'his' courtroom. The response from the
"top" (I've forgotten exactly who, but from a high level) was along the
lines of... Breastfed babies have a right to be breastfed whenever they
have the need for it, regardless of the place. Which effectively meant in
court, restaurants, public transport, etc. He was putting the child's need
above the sensibilities of the onlookers, who, he pointed out, did not need
to watch.

Regards,
Querida David
Alyangula, NT. Australia