From:
Chrissy Bodin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:29:17 -0400
Hi all!

I live in the Atlanta area of Georgia and am a LLL leader.  I recently
attended the LLLI conf. and sat at a breakfast table with Ellen from
Isreal.  I decided to finally join lactnet after she told me that she
only gets "about eight" messages a day from lactnet.  Now I realize she
must have meant eight *digests* a day! :-)

I have a question.  I know there is a formula company behind this, but I
can't trace them.  I just came back from my 4 mo old's well check up and
was handed an information sheet with my baby's measurements written on
it--something to stick in the baby book.  Under the "Nutrition" section,
the first thing that is written is "The way you feed your baby tells him
how you feel about him.  And that's the way he will learn to feel about
himself.  If you feed him the way he wants to be fed, he will learn that
you (and other people) are loving and that he is lovable"  How does baby
want to be fed?  One doesn't need to be able to read to find out, as
there is a lovely cartoon under this advice of a daddy with a large grin
bottlefeeding his contented baby.  There is other advice on the back side
telling moms to try to put baby on a schedule and that breastfeeding moms
need to eat well "to keep your breast milk nutritious."

There is no formula company mentioned anywhere, just a note of thanks to
a local Junior League and a note that the Nutrition section contains
portions reprinted with authorization from Ellyn Satter. It is
copyrighted to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, the owners of two
children's hospitals in the area. I looked up Ellen Satter on the
internet and she is a nutritionist who seems to have good advice (eat
only when you are hungry, etc, don't withhold food from children.)

I plan to point out gently to the ped at our next visit that the sheet
comes off as a formula ad but wish I had a more concrete formula company
connection to show other than bad advice and innuendo.  Any advice or
insight?

Chrissy Bodin,
LLL Leader
Conyers, Georgia