From:
Anna Swisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 06:53:06 -0500
>I humbly disagree with the comment that referring to short nursings
>as "snacks" is inappropriate.  As with so many things, it's the
>context.

I missed the beginning of this thread re: "snacking."  Just wanted to let
folks who are not aware of it know that this is a 'code' word in
Babywise/Prep followers (used to justify forced schedules), so one might
want to consider whether the mother to whom they are talking is vulnerable
to BW/Prep when considering using this analogy.  "Context" is also a buzz
word in GFI-land, imbued with different meaning to them than irl,  so
there's some humor in your statement, Winnie:-)

>I may ask her how she would feel if someone told her she could only  have
the >10-course dinners, nothing at any other time.  I may also point out
that without >outside influences <snip> most adults wouldn't>eat on a very
regular basis.  Then I remind her that her baby needs >to double his or her
weight in 6 months-something I strongly doubt>she wants to do herself!  Add
to that the fact that baby's tummy is>only about the size of its fist, and I
have yet to have a mom who>doesn't indicate that she understands why baby
seems to be eating"so often."

Great points to use!  Thanks for sharing these ideas.

Anna Swisher
LLL Leader
Austin, TX