From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:41:01 +0100
We did indeed, work it out.   :-)

And I did say, in my original post, that I was entirely supportive of
being empathic and generous with someone who is showing discomfort.  Not
to the point of not nursing, but to the point of making simple human
contact with anyone!  Talk and compassion go a long way.

However, not everyone is either compassionate, or rational.  There are
nasty people in the world.  No, really, there are.  People who no matter
how much time, effort, energy or compassion you give them, will remain
locked in their bigotry, hate and nastiness.  Damaged people.  Damaged
people who latch on to some things, and argue and scream and blind fight
from nothing other than their own pain.  People who need to control, to
tear, to destroy.

We need to keep them in mind, when talking about when such statements
are being made about disgust etc.  For some of the people making these
statements are not speaking from anything other than a damaged agenda -
a damage we can do nothing to heal or minimise.

Hence we have laws, and regulations, and protection for the things that
have to remain paramount: above personal reaction and experience..
Things that, as a society, we state are important and rise above
personal prejudice.  Nursing infants is one of them.  So yes, be
compassionate with those who can hear it, and open discourse with those
willing to talk.

But also slap the morons and monsters down hard and fast and point out
they _cannot_ impose their damage on anyone else.

Full stop.

It's a difficult balance to find ... but then, so is life!

Morgan Gallagher