From:
Anna Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 19:54:15 +0100
Hi All,
>At the risk of sounding ultra conservative, since when is alcohol
>nutritionally neccessary!
> Just like smoking and unneeded drugs or bad
>health habits its an optional activity.

Alcohol in moderation has been shown to have health advantages, so I
don't think it should be listed necessarily as a "bad health habit".

> If a mother has to have a drink,
>it should set off a mental red flag to health professinals.

I think that would be somewhat of an over-reaction to a mother who
indulges occasionally. I would be surprised if an alcoholic would
readily admit to a health professional that they "have" to have a drink
(just MHO).

> We recently
>counseled a client who called to ask about having a drink on mothers day.
>During the discussion the LC learned she planned to drink a whole bottle of
>Champagne to celebrate,  while nursing a 2 week old, because " I didn't
>drink in pregnancy so now I can".

I have personally met women who refused to breastfeed because they
believed you couldn't drink any alcohol while nursing so I think there
is a danger in banning drinking while breastfeeding entirely. As they
say on the newsgroups, "Your Mileage May Vary", but I don't believe
their is any evidence that moderate drinking will do any harm.

Also, I would be concerned about any mother, breastfeeding or not, who
planned to care for a baby after a bottle of champagne. I would have
thought being drunk was somewhat risky.

>Hardly the same as one beer or a glass of
>wine of wine.

Exactly, and the age and weight of the baby should be taken into account
too, I believe. When I talked about drinking while nursing, I was
talking about a 28lb, 9mo, not a tiny newborn!

>How much is too much?

Maybe someone else can answer this, but I was always lead to believe
that one or two glasses or wine, or halves of beer, a couple of times a
week is OK.

> Dr. Ludington -Hoe says if you want to
>kill brain cells, drink alcohol.

I think that is just personal opinion.