Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:06:48 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/2004 12:41:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Hi
I had a pediatrician yesterday tell me that the current AAP recommendation
is that if a newborn loses more than 5 - 8 % of body weight in the initial
days they should intervene, I though it was more like 8-10 or maybe 12%. I
asked her for the lit to back it up but wanted to search it my self, I found
all sorts of interesting stuff on the AAP site, but nothing to address this
issue, do any of you know?
Thanks
Cindy
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

6% is the NORMAL weight loss in optimally breastfed infants in several
studies and occurs around the 2-3rd day of life.  The AAP BPPOP materials
(Breastfeeding Health Supervision) say 7-10% is OK, but the newer materials will suggest
> 8 % requires INVESTIGATION.  This does NOT mean that anyone with a weight
loss > 8% will require supplementation, it means we, as physicians, need to
evaluate the mother, the baby, the milk volume and milk transfer, and follow the
dyad closely.  Some babies may need supplement, most won't.

The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine also cites 8-10 % as action values in
its supplementation protocol.

I have not seen the finals of the new AAP policy statement or the AAP/ACOG
physicians' breastfeeding handbook.  I am hoping both will be out by the end of
the year.

Nancy
Nancy E. Wight MD, IBCLC, FAAP, FABM
Neonatologist
Children's Hospital and Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women
Medical Director, Sharp HealthCare Lactation Services
San Diego, CA