From:
Margery Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:21:40 -0400
Hello everyone,

        I've been a good girl and checked the archives (both of them),
and my Dr. Hale.  Is Placidyl (ethchlorvynol) compatable with breastfeeding?

        Now, to complicate the question:  The baby is 5 weeks old,
re-admitted to the hospital with coarctation of the aorta and bilateral
pneumonia.  Baby has now been on the ventilator for 1 week, Dr.'s hoping
to wean baby off today or tomorrow.  Mom is pumping away, but was finally
talked into going home for some rest (mom and dad both exhausted, live
about an hour away from the hosp.)  Someone (don't know who) gave mom a
"sleeping pill" to help her get the rest she needs.....

        This is actually after the fact, at this point, as the nurses
have dumped mom's milk that was pumped after the full night's sleep.  I
am still relatively new at this hospital, so no one asked me.  But after
saying loudly that "I have references that will answer whether this drug
would have been safe or not"  I now realize that I lied.  I do not.  Do you?

        Thanks in advance for any information on this oldie but
unreferenced drug.

Margie Forrest, RN, BSN, IBCLC