From:
Robert Palleja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 21:30:09 -0700
Dear Lactnetters,

This is my first posting in Lactnet. I've been lurking on Lactnet now
for a couple months and have finally got up the courage to post. I hope
I sent this right and it reaches you.

I have saved up several questions for everybody, so this is sure to be
a long post. First of all, I really need help with this one, a couple
months ago a woman in my group (LLL) took her 15 month old (nursing)
daughter to her 15 month checkup. When she told the doctor that her
daughter was still nursing, the doc replied "Oh, I'm surprised your
still nursing, most mothers wean after 12 months because after a year
nursing increases your risk of uterine cancer." Needless to say, my
friend was floored by this. She said she asked him to quote his source
(being the wise LLL mother that she is), and he said that he remembers
reading it in a textbook in medical school. She asked him to cite a
study and called him back a couple weeks later to see if he had found
anything. He said he couldn't find anything but remembered reading it
and was sure it was true. He still wouldn't admit that he is wrong!
It's sad to think of all the other mothers he has said this to. So
we've been calling everyone we can think of and they are all telling us
that it is ridiculous and it can't be true, but no one can find
anything on the subject. Does anyone out there know of any studies on
breastfeeding and uterine cancer? It would really make my year if we
could find some proof for this doc and get him to stop saying this to
bfing moms who may be vulnerable to this kind of thing. I wonder if we
do find something, if the doc will write a personal apology to all the
babies whose nursing relationship he cut short? How about it, anyone
taking bets?

My second question is about a posting that appeared here a couple
months ago. It was concerning Abbott getting FDA approval to put
something new into S___lac, I think it was called Oglicerides(sorry
about the spelling). It was a great posting and I printed it out and
promptly lost it. Can someone tell me where I could get another copy of
this. I would also love any more info I could get on what it is these
formula companies put in this stuff anyway.

Thirdly, has anyone hear heard of that book that is all the rage now
with new mothers called "What to Expect the First Year". I'm sure
you've all heard about it, it's the big selling baby book now,
unfortunately. I'm trying to start a letter writing campaign to get the
authors to change some of the things in their book here's a sample of
their advice on the best time to wean written in the chapter on the
tenth month P. 323:

"By the end of the first year, however, scientists tell us that breast
milk ceases to be adequate - not only is its protein content
insufficient for the older baby, but it suffers from a decline in
several vital nutrients including zinc, copper, and potassium. In the
second year, infants require the nutrients in cow's milk, and the
mother who is still breastfeeding should recognize that although both
she and her baby may still be enjoying the experience, breast milk
can't be considered a major souce of nutrition for her baby. Nor do
babies past a year appear to need the sucking breastfeeding
provides.(<-This is the one that kills me!)

In spite of much speculation, there's no solid evidence that nursing
past the first year - or even well in the second or third or beyond -
hinders a child's emotional development (although she certainly implies
it doesn't she?). But it does seem that prolonged breastfeeding, like
prolonged bottle feeding, can lead to dental decay because during
sucking (from breast or bottle) there is steady pooling of milk in the
mouth that doesn't occur with drinking from a cup, which encourages a
sip-and-swallow pattern. Another possible drawback to continuing either
breast or bottlefeeding much past the end of the first year is the
increased risk of ear infection from feeding lying down."

Then these women lay a huge guilt trip on anyone who was still even
considering breastfeeding at this point. "If your feelings about your
breastfeeding relationship have soured, your baby's radar will
certainly pick this up. He may even take it as a personal rejection." I
am also pretty offended when she says things like "Are you tired of
hauling your breasts in and out of your shirt all day long?" I don't
think many moms are going to want to nurse past a year after reading
this. I don't want to depress you, but it gets worse. "If your baby's
attachment to the breast doesn't show any signs of letting up by the
age of 18 months, it is unlikely that he will ever be the one to take
the initiative in weaning."

I hope you'll forgive me for venting, but these women make me so angry.
I wish I had their addresses or email addresses, but all I have is
their publisher's address. If anyone wants to send a letter I would
really appreciate it. The publisher's address is Workman Publishing
Company, Inc. 708 Broadway  New York, NY 10003. And the women's names
are Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi E. Murkoff, Sandee E. Hathaway, BSN.

Lastly, I was just going to mention something in regard to your recent
conversation on epidurals. It is such a shame that they have gotten so
much positive publicity recently. I don't know if anyone here has ever
been in the breastfeeding newsgroup, but lately they've had a
discussion on epidurals, too. Unforunately, the majority of the women
advocated having epidurals, saying that it had no adverse effects on
their babies. When I wrote them to tell them about the possible
negative effects of epidurals, and that they shouldn't be advocating
epidurals for everyone, I was told that I was trying to "Make other
women feel guilty for having epidurals." I was basically told that
there are no adverse effects, and I should keep my mouth shut and not
make people who had drugs feel guilty. I hope I didn't depress everyone
tonight. Maybe I should end on a positive note.

I recently emailed a young mother who asked how she could go about
gradually weaning her 12 month old who was really attached to
breastfeeding. She said she was going to miss it terribly. I wrote her
back and told her that she didn't have to wean if she didn't want, and
gave her a list of benefits of nursing a toddler. She wrote me back and
thanked me and said she was just going to keep nursing as long as it
felt right to her and her baby. I think she was just looking for some
support and validation of her feelings. Doesn't that just make your
day, it made mine. These are the ones that make it all worth while.

Tricia Palleja, LLL
Chicago, IL
Mommy to Beth 18 month old "Nursling"