Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:24:33 -0500
C--

I recently gave a class to pregnant high school teens
My idea as a visual:  Take a breakfast cereal box**; cover and glue
all sides
with a brown paper bag (or anything that blocks out
the info.).  Cut out the bottom of the box. (this is where
the bottle of formula is hidden)
On a sheet of paper I printed out the following:

			Baby Food (in big "pretty" lettering)
"Use of this product  increases the risk of the following":

	Childhood Leukemia		Asthma
	Allergies					Lower I. Q.
	Obesity					Rheumatoid Arthritis
	Pneumonia					Multiple Sclerosis
	Eczema 					Diabetes
	Ear Infection				SIDS
			(etc., etc., etc.)
Bring attention to the box, discuss the "warning label".
Say something like, would you use or even buy this product.
Of course, everyone says NO !

Have someone lift the box up; there in living
color is a bottle of formula.

Boy, did this get tongues waging !
Then I launched into the dangers of formula use
**when they see the shape of the box, it sends them
completely away for the "formula idea"  They really
think it's some kind of cereal

If you like it, use it !

Kathy Koncelik, CPD(CAPPA)
Breastfeeding Peer Support Counselor (LLLI)
LLL
Long Island, NY