From:
Jessica Billowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:02:23 +0300
Hi All,

I am working with a mom whose baby is now 3 months old.  She called me
because she was on her 4th breast infection.   She was in a cycle of getting
an infection every 2 weeks on the day.  Then she would do a round of
Antibiotics, her supply would drop, and then as it built up again, 2 weeks
later, infection again.  She was describing infection as a very red patch on
the breast, high fever for like 2 days (101-104) no pain when BF but pain to
the touch.  At consult, I observed a fat baby who was gaining fine and
causing the mother no pain with a very major type 2 tongue tie.  He had
absolutely no lift in his tongue.  Otherwise baby was not gassy or fussy.
We discussed that repeated infections and plugs was most probably a result
of the TT.  She had the tongue released, and reported to me she felt no
difference in the breastfeeding whatsoever.  I also checked her bra, (not
underwire or tight) and recommended Lecithin.  Also nursing in different
positions a couple of times a day and breast massage to empty all areas,
especially when she had an infection.    I was pretty confident she would
not get another infection.

Well, here we are, to the day 2 weeks later, and she called me last night
with high fever, etc.  She said that it does not hurt to BF, but she felt
her supply building up after the last infection, and it seems when it gets
to a certain point she gets fever.  I don't know what to tell her.  When I
saw her, she was coming off of an infection, and her supply was just
adequate if not slightly low.  What should she do if her body is swinging
between two extremes?

Any suggestions or comments are helpful, and please respond offline as well
as to the list.

Thank you.

Jessica Billowitz, IBCLC
Israel