From:
Michelle DePesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:53:54 -0400
On Apr 25, 2006, at 1:05 PM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> Breast isn't best - UK article
> http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article360047.ece

This article is the result of the author's guilt but also of her shock
at how different her preconceived notions of what mothering would be
like, versus how it really is. It hurts, it is disappointing and often
translates to guilt - then rationalisations must be made: note how the
author completely discounts the "benefits of breastfeeding", even
analysing the language ("may") rather than the actual science -
anything to justify her feelings of disillusionment and bewilderment. I
think I have gone on at length about how incredibly ill prepared adults
are for dealing with the real demands of newborns (and I think that is
behind this sort of article which we see at least one every season) so
I will leave it at that. Why it was picked up in a "news" paper/site
has to do with a post I made back in September:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?
A2=ind0509B&L=LACTNET&P=R11851&D=0&H=0&I=-3&O=T&T=0

http://tinyurl.com/rqgxd

What is interesting is that this article/oped was published, and its
misinformation may sway some minds towards formula - if we lactivists
are such omnipresent bullies, "forcing" our opinions on everyone and
"making" them breastfeed, how is that this saw the light of day?
Because this is actually the "norm" point of view, I am sad to say.

Michelle DePesa