From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 03:39:59 +1100
33 wk twin girls [EXCLUSIVELY BREASTMILK-FED? OR SUPPLEMENTED, SO THAT
ABNORMAL GUT FLORA WAS ESTABLISHED, WITH A PREPONDERANCE OF PATHOGENS?]
who as of lastWed. were 13 days old & doing well.

MOM called me last Wed. morning with classic symptoms of a breast
infection: fever..OB called & antibiotics started. [FURTHER GUT CHANGES
INDUCED BY ANTIBIOTICS BEGIN. WHAT DRUGS WERE USED? WHAT DOSAGE?]
Around midday twin B took a turn for the worst & went into NEC (necrotizing
enterocolitis).  The neonatologist felt the coincidence of the NEC &
fever/mastitis [ANTIBIOTICS?] was enough to take Twin A off EBM & place npo.

When Mom came in we had her pump & cultured her fresh milk [AND SWABS FROM
THE PUMP?].

I'm also concerned that the DR may have planted the seed of guilt in the Mom
that her milk may have caused this. THERE ARE OTHER OBVIOUS POSSIBILITIES
NOT EXPLORED, AS YET AGAIN BREASTMILK IS BLAMED. INEXCUSABLE.

Apologies, but I used caps to make it easy to see where I began and Debbie
ended, but if you think I'm a little emphatic I don't mind because I feel
more than a little emphatic about any doctor who could manage the case as
described by Debbie.

Maureen Minchin, IBCLC. Christ Church Vicarage, 14 Acland St., St.Kilda,
Vic. 3182 Australia. tel/fax: 61 3 9537 2640
"Taking paths of least resistance is what makes rivers - and people -
crooked." poster in Palmerston North NZ bookshop...