From:
Jenni James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:39:05 +1000
Just a bit of experience on this - employers that I have spoken to about
this type of issue basically and unashamedly state that 'executives are
hard to get and keep so we'll do whatever it takes to keep them - everyone
else is easily replaced, so what do we care!' Talking to them about all the
benefits of supporting lactation across the board does absolutely nothing
to change their attitude on this. What is desparately needed is someone to
do some solid research in this area - produce sound statistics, large
population etc. at the moment we have little to give them that will make
them stand up and take notice. I tried as the Breastfeeding Consultancy
Services development manager to get someone to back me to do this research
but couldn't find anyone interested! To me this issue is one of
discrimination and feel that these women would have a strong case in that
area - but of course this course of action would take a very strong
individual to take it on. Woman working in this type of employment are more
than a little loath to take on the big guns as they know they are
'dispensible'. Its a catch 22 and is so disheartening.
warm regards
jenni
RN RM IBCLC in private practice and mother to Daniel, Alicia, Michael,
Ashley, Leighton & Kathryn
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on!"