Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2014 12:17:24 +0000
Fascinating stuff!

There's confirmatory detail in a paper called Mozart and medicine in
the eighteenth century - on the web (JS Jenkins).

Constanze was literally not permitted by Wolfgang to breastfeed. He
wrote to his father saying he wanted his children brought up on
water[apparently he meant gruel, or bread in water/beer, not
literally just water], as his parents did for him and his sibs (he
and his sister were the only surviving children among seven siblings).

Against his wishes, Wolfgang was persuaded to let the firstborn go to
a wet nurse, but the baby died aged four weeks.

These stories are interesting. People in 18th and 19th century Europe
knew fine well breastfeeding was a Good Thing. They knew that
country/peasant children were robust and more likely to survive
infancy, and they knew why. They saw with their own eyes the terrible
infant mortality in the cities - more than 50 per cent in many
places. They knew breastfeeding was likely to save them from this,
and even those who could afford a wet nurse sometimes eschewed this
choice.

The social pressure on middle/upper class, urban women was such that
they simply did not breastfeed and this was the norm.

In the UK, mid-19th century, Queen Victoria like the rest of her
social class, did not breastfeed (though her children all survived
infancy - they were all wet nursed). She sneered at and mocked her
daughters, when they did so.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK