From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2014 10:26:00 +0100
Georgia

What a very interesting post, and very good descriptions :-)

As you've observed, the reason that a baby might
bob around on the nipple is that s/he is
"looking" for the nipple and trying to latch
on.  Is it here, No?  Where is it, Where is
it???? And yes, you are quite right that the baby
who starts crying is becoming frustrated because
he's not getting the necessary stimulation to
latch on. But it sounds as if you're concerned
that the reason might be that the tongue could be
tied, or inadequately revised??  But it's not
stimulation to the _tongue_ which causes a baby
to latch, but stimulation to the _palate_ (the
roof of the mouth, usually at the junction of the
soft and hard palates, ie quite far _back_ in the mouth).

If the baby is being positioned in a laid-back
position, then he will bob his head, up and down,
looking for the nipple face down. The head is
heavy, and it's hard work and he can get very
tired and very, very frustrated.  If the baby is
positioned in, say, the cradle hold, he will
repeatedly gape and arch _backwards_ to search
for the nipple.  This is very frustrating for all
concerned, since pushing the baby's head towards
the breast is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

I'm not a big fan of the laid-back position for
difficult-to-latch babies, for the simple reason
that I find that the mother's own position means
that she can't help the baby very much - she
probably can't see very well, and gravity causes
the breast to flatten (like a fried egg), rather
than be formed into the firm stimulus that the
baby is looking for to be able to latch
on.  Thus, I would always suggest the mother use
a cross-cradle position - holding the baby along
the back and behind and below the ears, and
supporting the breast in a nipple-sandwich, with
her fingers behind the areola and pulling back
into the chest wall to firm the tissue and with
her underneath index finger in line with the
baby's smile.  This creates a space for the
little receding chin and lower jaw to fit under
the nipple/areola.   Now, stimulate the baby's
gape once more and tip the nipple _up_ while
drawing the baby's mouth on to the sandwiched
nipple/areola - so that the firmed nipple reaches
and stimulates the palate.  With an arching baby
it's necessary to _follow_ the baby with the
nipple.  Once the baby feels stimulation in the
right place (far back at the roof of the mouth)
he will clamp down, sometimes still trying to cry
at the same time, but once he realizes that there
is something there to suck, then he'll take a
tentative suck, and then another.  Sometimes at
this point the baby will just stay latched
without sucking and this is fine as that warm
little mouth (and lack of crying!) stimulates the
mother's let-down reflex.  Then there might be
another quick shallow suck or two and and then a
few slower sucks as the baby starts
swallowing.  And then you have lift-off as he
starts to breastfeed.   The relief can be indescribable.

Helping a mother of a non-latching baby can be
one of the most difficult, exquisitely delicate,
fraught but ultimately rewarding parts of our
work, I find...... I get in there and am really
hands-on if the mother and baby can't manage,
because once you physically teach the baby what
to do, and then explain to the mother how to go
along with the baby's own reflexes and need for
palatal stimulation, then - and only then - she
can become self-reliant.  I know that in England
there's this thought that we shouldn't physically
help the mother otherwise she wont be able to
learn for herself.  But I think that watching a
baby bobbing up and down and becoming
increasingly frustrated from the end of the bed
with our hands firmly behind our backs is
actually cruel.  Furthermore, if a baby starts to
cry too much in my hearing, I start to shake - I
just can't stand it!   So I make a few
suggestions, but if everyone is getting more
upset rather than less, I ask the mother's
permission to touch and help her baby latch for
her (the answer is almost always, Oh yes,
please!) and go ahead.  Then once the baby has
had some milk and the mother can see that the
baby _can_ do it, then I invite her to try
herself, and we go through it all again.

As you can see - IME this has nothing whatever to
do with the tongue, its shape, its position,
whether it's stimulated or not, nor whether
there's any tie....... Actually, come to think of
it, a baby with a TT is easier to latch because
the tongue cannot extend to the palate during
crying, preventing insertion of the nipple into the palate!

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England

In observing babies self-latching I have come
across babies who will bob on the nipple but not
(i'm guessing) get the necessary stimulation to
latch on.. they just seem to bob infinitely on
the nipple, and cry in frustration, even when
their mouth is going up and down on the nipple...
in one particular case we tried creating a nipple
sandwich (mothers nipples were flat but
definitely not inverted) but i think the tension
in the areola confused the baby more... i've also
seen where baby does this and eventually draws
the nipple out but in several other cases each
time baby just bobbed up and down on the nipple
and became increasingly frustrated. i suggested
sucking skills in the hopes of getting baby to
extend his/her tongue more to get the feedback
she/he needed to latch on.. but does anyone have
any tricks to help baby receive the stimulus they
need to latch on.. any reason why baby isn't
receiving that stimulus.. ? on a related note:
i'm really struggling at the moment with babies
who have been clipped and have been told that
there is no tongue tie present but are still
having a lot of tension in the mid-line of the
tongue (dimple in middle of tongue, underside of
tongue flanged at either side when trying to
elevate, tongue not coming across gum line when
self latching, strong line down tip of tongue
etc)  ---and of course seeing me b/c of nipple
pain, slow weight gain, clicking etc in one
particular case i observed a hard bit of skin
under the tongue and the aforementioned
tightness... but when mother when to dr he said
no tongue tie... but in all these cases..mother
was assured that no tongue tie was present... i
don't want to send mothers on a wild goose chase,
but after body work, self-latching, sucking
skills exercises etc.. what else is there to
do??? any and all thoughts on these issues would
be greatly appreciated. warmly georgia lay breastfeeding counselor, uk

---