From:
Mary Cummins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:32:18 -0700
First, on the subject of being accused of child porn:  I have an
official poster from INFACT for World Breastfeeding Week from several
years ago.  It has a beautiful photo of a mother breastfeeding her baby
while her older daughter, perhaps age 6, snuggles up against mom and is
nursing her doll.

Isn't it one of the most universal appropriate behaviors for little
girls to imitate their mothers' baby tending?  Isn't that why baby dolls
are sold along with diapering, bathing and, to our minds, unnecessary
feeding equipment?

Ironically, the theme for the year this poster was used was:
"Breastfeeding Empowers Women".   Statements on the poster include:
"Breastfeeding confirms a women's power over her body" and
"Breastfeeding challenges the image of breasts as merely sex objects"
and "Breastfeeding affirms women's wisdom"..

Secondly, on the subject of BF in art ..... you can't get through a
museum in Europe without seeing all kinds of breastfeeding depicted.
Besides the mother and child paintings,  I've seen several allegorical
works that show a woman, who represents the virtue of Charity,
breastfeeding an adult or elderly man.  In some instances, the exposed
breast alone represents Charity.

Mary Cummins, M.Ed., IBCLC
Scottsdale, AZ