From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 06:20:53 +0100
>is there a difference between the growth charts you have now
developed and the WHO-charts?<

from 2 weeks to 4 years the UK chart uses the WHO data.  So, if you were to
plot a child anywhere between these ages on either chart, you would end up
with a plot/plottings in similar relation to the centiles (we use centile
labelling such as '50th', '98th' etc, not SDs -- WHO chart is available in
either).

On the edge of our chart, there are birth centiles marked.  These are based
on UK data (used at the time of our previous chart, gathered in the 1980's),
because the WHO birth data does not match UK data (probably due to the
childhood nutrition of the mothers in the WHO sample).  On our main chart
there is preterm data, form 32 weeks.  This is also UK data, becasue the WHO
chart does not include preterm data/centiles.

Our instructions are completely developed in the UK.  In fact, I don't think
there are specific plotting instructions on the chart with WHO, all
instructions are in accompanying material.

We have also developed parent information, which I don't recall there being
in any of the WHO materials.  This was developed through focus group work
with parents, plus consultation with individuals.  There is info to go in
the parent held CHild Health Record we use here in the UK, something for the
website and also we have contributed to theh 'Birth to fve' book that each
pregnant women is supposed to receive from the Department of Health.  I am
particularly proud of the parent material, it was a real goal of mine!

Along with the charts, there is an 'ADult Height Predictor' develooped by
Tim Cole (medical statistician).  If you know the child's height centile
(from the age of two, ideally) you can predict adult height to within 12 cm.
There is also a quick BMI centile calculator, which provides a quick
reckoner for discussion with parents or to help professionals decide if they
need to raise a BMI chart for that individual child.  (An increase in the
percentageof children over the 98th weight centile is an expected outcome of
adopting the new chart in the UK).

Hope this answers your question.

Magda Sachs, PhD
UK-WHO Growth Chart Team