From:
"Julia R. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:49:19 -0500
Margaret posted:

 > My partners and I received an invitation from Mead Johnson to attend a =
 > lecture given by Joan Y. Meek, MD, MS, RD. The title of this lecture is =
 > "DHA and ARA Supplementation in Infant Formula: Implications for Infant =
 > Development" The saleswoman knows that we don't attend anything sponsored =
 > by them or any other formula company. We are a little confused why Dr. =
 > Meek is speaking on this subject, has any one else attended a lecture by =
 > her on this topic?

After several responses to this post, I became intrigued and googled the
lecture title. I got two hits.

A lecture with this title was given during grand rounds at the University
of Texas, Department of Pediatrics on October 8, 2002. The speaker was Dr.
Craig Jensen who is an associate professor of pediatrics at the Baylor
College of Medicine. The video is freely available at the following url
<http://www.uth.tmc.edu/schools/video/streamvideo/ms/pd/pedigrnd.html>. It
runs about 57 minutes and requires no endorsement or registration; one can
listen in without risking ethical quandary. ;-)

William C. Heird, M.D., also gave a lecture titled "DHA and ARA
Supplementation in Infant Formula: Implications for Infant Development".
This was part of a lecture series sponsored by, yes, Mead Johnson
Nutritionals (Boston, Massachusetts, March 23, 2002). (Cited at
<http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/cnrc/annual_report/2002/2002_activities.pdf>)

Dr. Heird is a professor of pediatrics at the Baylor College of Medicine.
Since he and Dr. Jensen collaborate on research, it's probably a fair guess
that the two lectures are very similar if not the same. As far as I can
tell, Dr. Meek has no association with this lecture.

regards,
Julia

Julia R. Barrett
Freelance Science Writer